34th Annual Lighting Festival
November 23-24, 2018
This Year’s Theme: “Our Wild and Scenic River”
Expand the boxes below to see the events!
Friday - Nov. 23, 2018
- Enjoy the river and trails with Free Entrance Friday at MN Interstate State Park (and all Minnesota State Parks)!
- 1-8pm Holiday at the Depot Arts & Crafts Sale; Memorial Community Center. Memorable holiday gifts – and local!
- 3-parade Juneberry Cafe will be selling selling hot chocolate and Christmas cookies
- 3-8pm Visit the 1870 E.C. Winslow House, 579 Bench, $5 or kids 6-17 $1 (benefits the Lighting Festival)
- 3-8pm Christmas at the 1855 Folsom House; $4 or kids 6-17 $2
- 3-8pm 3rd Grade Exhibit at the Town School House – FREE
- 5-6pm Mrs. Claus reading to children at the library
- 5pm Chili, hot dogs and bonfire at St. Joseph’s Church; 5pm Booya at Romaynes – $5
- 5:00 NEW TIME! Pleasant Valley Cloggers at The River Alley Shoppes
- 6pm Grand Lighting of Village & Santa Parade
- PARKING TIP – avoid downtown snarl. Free parking at Interstate Park (if there is less than an inch of snow on the ground)!
- AFTER THE PARADE:
- Santa at Santa Land (at River Alley Shoppes)
- 3rd Grade exhibit at the Town House School
- Face painting & more at Schoony’s
- Free wagon rides outside Coffee Talk
- Kettle Korn at the Town House School
- Judging of outdoor light displays
Saturday - Nov. 24, 2018
- 9-3pm Wassail Party Craft Fair and Swedish Food serving Swedish Meatballs, Potatoes On-A-Stick, Swedish Egg Coffee at the Community Center & Town House School. The Swedish food benefits the Swedish Circle brochure
- 9:30-12:30 Visit the historic Taylors Falls Library
- 10am Medallion Hunt – clues every half hour! Clues will be posted on the town board on Bench Street and on the Taylors Falls Lighting Festival Facebook page
- 10-6:30pm Visit the 1870 E.C. Winslow House, 579 Bench St. $5 or kids 6-17 $1 (benefits the Lighting Festival). $5 or kids 6-17 $1 (benefit for the Lighting Festival)
- 10-3pm Visit the Taylors Falls Historical Society Visitor Center (lower level of the community center)
- 10-7pm Bazaar and Bake Sale at the 1861 Methodist Church
- 11-6:30pm Christmas at the Folsom House; $4 or kids 6-17 $4
- 1 pm Lots of fun PUPPETS AND MUSIC: “Super Christmas” Every seat is a good one. For families and children…of all ages. Free. 1861 Methodist Church.
- 2-4pm Getting Ready for Jesus, with activities for all ages. Everyone welcome! Free! Sponsored by FELC and the other MiChiLu ((Middle Chisago Lutheran) congregations, (Zion, Chisago Lake, Trinity & Immanuel). Come join us for fun or just a warm cup of coffee!
- 4:30pm Ecumenical Vespers for all at the 1861 Methodist Church. Free will donation.
- 6:30pm Family Bingo for cash and prizes!! Community Center. $15/pkg & dobbers $1
- 7:30pm Miracle on 34th Street, Festival Theatre, St. Croix Falls.
Sunday - Nov. 25, 2018
- Noon-3pm Advent Tea, First Evangelical Lutheran Church “Could you use some quiet minutes in the coming days or weeks? Would you like to sit down & write, pray or study, or wrap, or knit, or do crafts? If you like, join us at the Advent Tea, First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 561 Chestnut St., Taylors Falls, MN. The fellowship hall will be warm; there will be quiet music, coffee, tea & cider & a friendly pastor. (Phone that day (612) 532-7083.) If you want somewhere quiet to work, we have some great spaces; if you want a group of friends around your table, invite them. Take some deep breaths as we prepare and wait…..”
- 1pm Green Fire Irish Dance Performance followed by fun and easy Irish dances for all ages at the Taylors Falls Memorial Community Center.
Green Fire will be performing traditional dancing and costuming as well as modern “Riverdance” type dance. They will also lead us in easy Irish dancing for kids and adults. Free will donation.
CALLING ARTISTS - ONE DAY PAINTING EXHIBIT OPPORTUNITY
This year we are inviting a limited number of artists to display a painting of the St. Croix River at a one-day exhibit in the Town House School on Friday, November 23 between 3 and 8 PM. The river paintings will compliment the dioramas of river scenes created by third graders from Taylors Falls Elementary School
Outdoor Annual Lighting Contest
Now is a great time to start decorating for the Lighting Festival and we’ve increased the prize awards for 2018! First prize $100, second $75, third $50 and best use of the theme “Our Wild and Scenic River” $25.
New! Parade Challenges
We love to see friends, families and our local businesses in the parade and this year we’re making it even better. Send us a photo of you in the parade and we’ll post to Facebook for people to vote on which unit is their favorite. $200 prize for the best Friends or Family unit and for our business winner, you will receive a special traveling trophy, certificate and bragging rights galore.
The Lighting Festival wouldn’t be possible without the generous support of our sponsors!
Sponsors: City of Taylors Falls; St. Croix Regional Medical Center; Xcel Energy; MidWestOne Bank; First Resource Bank; High Test Travel; Wild Mountain; Buchite & Associates; Barb’s Family Hair Care; Coffee Talk; Country Bed and Breakfast; Croix Management; Croix Valley Contracting; Juneberry Cafe; Lincoln Brewery; Linda Shober Design and Images; McLane Accounting & Tax Service, Inc.; River Alley Shoppes; Row Sewer Service; Tangled up in Blue; Taylors Falls Bead Store; The Bitworks; The Copy Shop; The Drive-In Restaurant; WebPlus Wild River Electric.
Organizational Sponsors: The Lighting Festival Elves; Taylors Falls Lions Club; Taylors Falls Historical Society; 3rd and 4th Grades at Taylors Falls Elementary; CERT; First Evangelical Lutheran; UMC Outreach Committee; Taylors Fall Fire Department.
Countdown to Lighting Festival 2018!